Dec 15, 2005

surprises

Do you peek?

Personally, I never peek. I LOVE surprises. I hate knowing what my gifts will be beforehand. I was never one of those kids who looked for the present stash or unwrapped and rewrapped the gifts before Christmas morning. Part of the fun is being surprised! Oddly, I am married to the worst secret keeper in all the world. Not many surprises coming my way with him around. But when he does pull it off, it is usually AMAZING and makes up for all the non-surprise gifts along the way.
One year, short on cash, we said that we could only make gifts for each other. I predictably made him a scrapbook. He drew a picture of my tattoo and had it framed. I loved it. I cried. It was beautiful. Last year he replaced my missing wedding ring. Ok, I kinda knew it was coming, but I still cried. He took the time to have it correctly sized and engraved and it was such a touching gift to receive. One year for Valentine's Day, he wisked the kiddos off to a babysitter, and took me out for a moonlit picnic in a favorite place of mine. And he brought along some things he had written and questions for me, so we had amazing conversation too. It was a magical night.
I think most of the time, he is just so excited about a gift or idea, that he can't keep the secret that long. And that's ok. Because he always goes out of his way to make me happy, and I know how lucky I am to have someone in this world who cares so much about me. And it IS the thought that counts. And with him there is so much thought and love in everything he does. So I usually know what is coming. Big deal.

But then again, you just never know. He just might surprise me!

No comments: