Oct 5, 2011

a meme for your viewing pleasure


And because it's been a while....... a meme.

Here are my answers to some random questions that I found at zimmerhouse (she's funny.  so if you like funny too, go read her stuff):

1. Name someone with the same birthday as you.   I never paid attention to any celebrities who share my birthday, but a friend from high school, TJ Flinn, shares my birthday, and he always sends me kind words on that day every year.  He is a great guy who in the past couple years found a great girl, got married, and is happier than I've ever known him.  It warms my soul to see him like this.

2. What has been your favorite age so far? Oh geez.  Maybe my teens.  My high school years were fun.  But my early twenties were a blast too.  I just did lots of dumb stuff through those times.  If I could go back and have the wisdom I do now, I would do either of those over again, believe it or not.

3. Where did you meet your husband? We rode the same bus in high school.  Cool, huh?  And the first time we actually hung out and talked was when he was on leave from boot camp, and a mutual friend brought him out one night.  We got along really well, and I remember talking about getting together as soon as he got back.  We did, and have been together ever since!

4. How many children do you have?  We have two children - our beautiful girls who make our lives, truly.  Then we had one surrogate daughter who we are fortunate to see on occasion (though never often enough).  And now we have two foster children turning our world upside down.  A brother and sister, they are our first placement.  It has been a challenge to say the least, but I don't see us quitting any time soon and will welcome the next placements with open arms.  I am blessed to have a family like this!

5. Have you ever sung in front of a large number of people?  I sing karaoke as much as a few beers and a willing hostess will let me.  I have sung at family funerals and at my wedding.  I'm no Whitney Houston, but that doesn't seem to stop me.  :)

6. What’s the first thing you notice about your preferred sex? Hmmm.... probably eyes, or even more so what they are wearing and how they carry themselves.  I am attracted to good conversation, sense of humor, and personality, but you don't usually get that at first notice.

7. What really turns you off? Cockiness.  Excuses.  Bad teeth.

8. What do you order at Starbucks? Venti No-Whip Toffee Nut Latte.  Occasionally a mocha frap if the weather is warm and I am looking for a pick me up.

9. What is your biggest mistake? Not going away to college.  Not being smarter about money.  I always regret the life I could have had but don't.

10. As a child, what did you want to grow up to be? An actress.  Then as I got older I pictured myself as a journalist.  I was always interested in the arts in some capacity.

11. Say something totally random about yourself.  I hate my hair.  I never think it looks good.  I hate having to style it.  I hate having to wash it.  I hate having to dry it.  I hate trying to make it look good enough to leave the house.  I am thinking about investing a couple of wigs to plop on my head on the way out the door so I can stress slightly less about it every day.

12. Do you still watch kiddie movies or TV shows? Not if I can help it.  I find them highly annoying!!  I can't even believe some of the crap they are passing off as entertainment these days.  (Although I am sure my mother thought the same thing when I plunked myself in front of hours of crap myself.)

13. Did you have braces? Never did.  And oddly enough, I have been complimented on my teeth twice this month.  Weird?

14. Favorite Social Network? Good ol' fashioned Facebook.  Not digging all the changes, but it's where everyone is at.  I like Twitter, I like blogging, I like message boards, but Facebook is where I can look to see how most everyone in my life is doing.  That is exactly why they are so successful and can make whatever changes they want.

15. What is the most romantic thing someone of the preferred sex has done for you?  My husband takes care of me like no other.  He listens to me and stimulates my mind.  He is not a romantic guy by nature, which does sadden me when I let it, but man he is there for me day after day after day and has seen my worst and does not care.  Pretty romantic.
His most romantic move was probably replacing my lost wedding ring.
Our most romantic date was our moonlit picnic by the clock tower, where he wrote me a bunch of things to read and talk about.  He put a lot of thought into it, which was the most romantic part.  

16. When do you know it’s love?  When you can see each other through what we've been through and it only makes you stronger.  Our challenges have formed a bond between us that nobody would ever understand or be able to break.

17. Do you speak any other languages?  Not really.  My most fluent second language was American Sign Language, and my skills are super rusty.  I have thought a lot lately about taking a course and brushing up on it.

18. Have you ever been to a tanning salon?  Ummmm....... only to hang out with a friend.  What would I do with a tan?!  I am perfectly content with the one God gave me.  :)

19. What magazines do you read?  I like women's magazines, magazines like Oprah, cooking magazines, tech magazines, and gossip rags.  I don't currently subscribe to a single one.  But I would pick up almost any and find something to look at or read.  I am an information junky.

20. What is playing on your iPod right now? 
 Cheer music?  We are smack in the middle of cheer competition prep.  Other than that, Adele 21 has gotten quite a bit of airplay around here.

21. Have you ever ridden in a limo? Often.  Most recently in NYC with the dance team.  It cost just a couple dollars more than cabs to get our group uptown, so we just went for it.  What an experience!  The girls had a blast!  They really thought they were something!  

22. Has anyone you were really close to passed away?  There has been so much death in my life - way too much for someone of my age.  My grandfather was probably the most devastating, and he has been on my mind quite a bit lately.  Not sure why.

23. Do you watch MTV? I used to, back when they played videos.  I don't even know what is on there anymore.  Now I am keeping Bravo and HGTV in business all by myself.

24. What’s something that really annoys you?  Lying.  Pot stirrers.  Loneliness.  Mess.  Fatigue.  Being misunderstood. 

25. Which television show were you sad to say goodbye to? Alias.  That was our date night show!  Then Heroes replaced it.  Also gone.  We don't have a date night show anymore.

26. Can you dance? Not really.  I like to get up and shake it when I'm in the mood, but I'm no dance genius!

27. What’s your favorite place in the world? Anywhere Rich goes.  Other than that, Skatet Beach at sunset.  The most beautiful, peaceful place I know.  

28. Have you ever been rushed by an ambulance into the emergency room? Yes, and I don't recommend it.  Those boards they strap you to?  Not a good time, believe you me!

29. If you could meet anyone (dead or alive) who would it be? Hmmm..... Oprah seems like such a cliche answer.  How about Martin Luther King, Jr?  Maybe he could teach me a thing or two about persistence and faith.  And I could tell him about how his dream is just beginning to be realized, even though there is sooooo much farther to go.

30. If you could change one thing in the world for your child, what would it be? Guaranteed happiness and prosperity.  How do I do that??



No comments: