Jun 12, 2010

100 Books: The Time Traveler's Wife

I can't believe I have not talked to you about this book.  Mostly because I was completely obsessed with it.  So much so that I couldn't put the darn thing down.  I tell you, that book came at just the right time - my mind was racing, I hadn't had a moment to relax in forever, and I couldn't tell you the last time I had picked up a book.

Then this came along.  The perfect love story.  The perfect romantic escape that I needed.  It envelopes you in its simple complexity.  You believe, you root for, you care.  You find yourself allowing the suspension of disbelief required to make the story plausible.  The author has such a knack for character development, that I felt myself missing those who had to be cut when I finally allowed myself to view the movie.

If this is your kind of thing, give it a try.  For me, it was the catalyst that got me back into the world of books.  And I tell you this, it had been far too long.

My only postscript would be to stay far far FAR away from the author's sophomore novel - Her Fearful Symmetry.  While her masterful character development carries through, her storytelling does not, and it leaves you cold at the end, as if she ran out of time or ink.  My advice would be to allow The Time Travelers Wife to transport you through a mystical timeline of love and hope, and to let it end there.

1 comment:

Christy said...

Hi Toe-Amy. The blog looks great, thanks for the book rec. :)