Dec 7, 2010

christmassy quiz

Let's get in the spirit with a little Christmas meme.  It's been a while, right?

1. Have you started your Christmas shopping?   I shop year round.  If I see something that fits a person, I buy it.  Problem is, around now, I forget what I have and duplicate my efforts.  It's time to get everything out and see what I have.

2. Tell me about one of your special traditions.  We always get a tangerine in the toe of our stockings.  Nobody really even eats them in this household, but the tradition predates me in this family, and it hasn't stopped yet.  One of the girls was looking at the stockings on the mantle, and pondered aloud, "I wonder if we'll be getting a tangerine this year?"  I'm quite sure we will.  And I am also quite sure we will pull it out and exclaim, "Ooooh!!! A tangerine!!!!"

3. When do you put up your Tree? As soon as possible after Thanksgiving, but not too soon that we are just left with a dead stick on Christmas day.  Usually 2-3 weeks before.

4. Are you a Black Friday shopper?   Ok, here's how it goes down.... we spend weeks talking about what's going to be on sale, and saying we are going to get in line the night before, and circling the ads, and making lists, and asking each other if we are in line yet.......  And then on Friday we wake up at like tenish... throw on some clothes, leave the children with the men (they don't really notice - they are watching football), and head out, stop for coffee, miss all the good sales, pick up wrapping paper, walk slowly through the stores, laugh at all the maniacs, and go home and shop online for what we really need.

5. Do you travel at Christmas or stay home?  We used to travel like maniacs, but now we stay home if I can help it, or end up at my parents, where we park it for a few days.  No more running around.  The kids want to open their stuff and play.  It should be a relaxing day.

6. What is your funniest Christmas memory?   I lost my wedding and engagement ring set.  I was devastated, and knew we would not be able to replace them.  It really tore me up.  DH surprised me with a replacement wedding band on Christmas.  I cried.  It meant so much to me!

7. What is your favorite Christmas movie of all time?  Elf  really cracks me up.  I can watch that over and over.  But my all time favorite is It's a Wonderful Life.  You know, because it is.

8. Do you do your own Christmas baking, what’s your favorite treat?  I love baking Christmas cookies.  I think our family has the best cookie recipes.  They are all my favorite, but I think our sugar cookies are the best I've ever had.  Mmmmm!!!!!

9. Fake or Real Tree?  Real.  We get out there like troopers and cut our own.  It is always a blast.  We spend forever out there because I am indecisive and picky.  We always say we are not going to get one that is too big for the living room, and we always end up with one too big for the living room.  And it always smells divine and looks beautiful.

10. What day (as a mom) does the actual panic set in to get it all done?  I don't really panic about it.  I am particularly relaxed about it all this year.  But if there is going to be a panic, it is on Christmas Eve, right about the time I send DH and sis to Walgreens for something.  (Yes, every stinkin' year.)  Thank goodness for 24hr Walgreens.

11. Are you still wrapping presents on Christmas Eve? Always.  It is such a bad habit! 

12. What is your favorite family fun time at Christmas?  All of it.  The past few years we have been together with my side of the family, and we laugh every minute until it's over.  I can't wait!

13. What Christmas craft do you like the best?  I scrapbook a Christmas card every year.  I make a scrapbook page on paper, scan, and print as photos.  I love putting it together.  I hope people enjoy receiving it.

14. Christmas music? (Yes or No) If yes, what is your favorite song?  Nonstop.  It's a sickness.  Favorite song is O Holy Night.  Just about any version of it.  Sooooo beautiful that song is.

15. When do you plan to finish all of your shopping?   Hmmm.  Hopefully by this week or next.  Since I do most of it online, I really need to take stock and finish up while there is still time for shipping.  Oh - and of course that last minute Walgreens item on Christmas Eve.

No comments: